Friday, August 3, 2007

Traffic on a Rainy Afternoon

Another one of my observations that makes me tilt my head, chuckle, and say, "Huh?!" to myself.

So I'm out today, running some errands, and it was raining. Where I live, when it rains, you really don't want to be on the road too much if you can help it. You know there's always going to be an accident, and you just pray it doesn't involve you. I'm heading home, bad time of day and week to begin with, but let's just multiply that by 10 since we've added the rain factor. Well, traffic is pretty much at a stand-still for a while, and I can see flashing lights ahead; way up ahead. But that's all I can see b/c of all the SUVs and trucks in front of me, and I have a relatively "low ridin'" car. Obviously there is an accident. I'm getting close to the left-hand turn lane that will allow me to go the back way, and again, I can't see much in front of me b/c of all the large vehicles. So I'm just at the clearing, when I see that the turning lane is blocked. No up ahead, at the intersection, is where I can see the emergency vehicles, but that's the only way you could tell something happened. I'm thinking, "damn - I don't want to stay on the main road - the back way is so much better." But what are ya gonna do, right? So i finally get up to the intersection, where there are half a dozen police cars, an ambulance, and a firetruck that has just pulled away. There are maybe three wrecked cars, and I say "maybe" b/c I do pride myself on not being one of those people who has to see what's going on. I just keep my eyes focused ahead of me on the road. So I get right to the light at the intersection, and there are two policemen waving the traffic on, and then I see the sign, that they've put in the middle of the road, that says - ready for this one? - "Accident Scene Ahead". And I'm thinking, "Really?! An accident scene? Ya don't say!" I mean, they could have at least put the sign down the road at the point you'd get in the left-hand turning lane, so you'd know you couldn't go that way, right? And I swear, at the point where you are told in no uncertain terms, "Accident Scene Ahead", well you've already passed the scene. There's nothing happening beyond that sign, save for finally flowing traffic.
Sigh... (but a sigh with much laughter).

No comments:

with Christy

with Christy
"Best Travel Partner EVER"

Nora and Lady Agatha

Nora and Lady Agatha

My 2 Fave "Js"

My 2 Fave "Js"

Mom and 2 of her Wayward children

Mom and 2 of her Wayward children

The Staredown

The Staredown

With Nora

With Nora

4-wheelin' in the DR

4-wheelin' in the DR

About Me

My photo
Here's hoping having a blog will help lead me to the adventures that are out there awaiting me. I want to do something with my writing, my creativity, my skills. I just lost a job that I hated, and am so much better off for it!! It's the new me! Or rather, the OLD me! Yippee! I love the Arts, 1920's and 1930's Cinema, the Theatre, The BOB and SHERI SHOW (!), all animals, my friends, and my family. And music!! Good music, which of course is subjective, but that's another thought for another day. At the moment, I guess this is just about me, and where to go from here, and to see if constantly writing out my wandering thoughts will eventually lead to good! Can't hurt, right? I certainly was not doing myself or the Universe ANY good droning away at that "job"! Anyone willing to come along on this ride? I'll let you off if you change your mind. It is, in effect, the journey through My mind, and I am sure that's a scary place for others to be! It's like one of my favorite quotes - don't know whose, since i really saw it on a tee shirt, but it fits me to a, um, well... a TEE: "I live in my own little world, but that's okay - they know me here!"