Saturday, July 28, 2007

Rules, Rules, Rules...


You know the old adage, "Rules were meant to be broken"? I guess that depends on the rule and the person. I kinda fall in the middle of that. What irks me is not so much the rules, but the total non-enforcing of them. I think, okay, so you have all these rules, but what good is it to have them if they aren't being enforced? Do the "rule-makers" really think people will feel safer or more secure just because the rules are posted? I think not, especially when it's obvious that no one is around to bother doing a thing about "broken rules".
You may ask what prompted this, so let me tell ya... Last weekend we were up in Ohio to go to Cedar Point. Rockin' amusement park, with like, 17 huge, scary roller coasters! Love it, love it, love it! I was also there last year, and noticed, besides all the various signs around the park, in the little map you get of the amusement park all of the "strict rules" are written in that. I was paying very close attention this year, because last year, I'd noticed all the signs, and upon entering the park, I immediately saw all these blatant "violations". For example, it's posted everywhere that this is a FAMILY park, and that anyone caught wearing clothing with crude or "distasteful" writing on it, or anything racist or gang related, will immediately be ejected from the park. Last year, right after I saw that, I saw a man walk by with something on his t-shirt that I won't even repeat here. I don't get easily offended, but I couldn't help but think that this is indeed a "family" park, all these kids running around, and this guy has this really offensive statement on his shirt. And again, I don't offend easily, and it was partly because it was within this particular environment that I saw it.
So, back to this year. At every, single line, there are signs throughout, while you're waiting in line, that say, "Anyone caught jumping in line (as in someone holding a place for them, etc.) will be immediately ejected from the park", and "smoking in lines is cause for immediate ejection from park." There are also signs all around that say none of the afore-mentioned "literature" on clothing is allowed. This gave me cause to thoroughly pay attention this time, and WOW - it kinda shocked me, and it kinda irked me too. They are "very strict" about smoking there, and smoking is allowed only in designated areas, and if you look at the map, it will tell you where each one is. I can't tell you how many people I saw who were smoking in lines, smoking at eating tables, and smoking anywhere in the park while walking from one attraction to the next. I thought for sure I'd see someone get "busted", but alas no. Now I myself am a smoker, and I was trying to find the designated smoking areas, many of which weren't where the map said they were. I watched this go on constantly all day. I also saw a handful of people "jump line", and I saw my fair share of things on clothing, that by Cedar Point's "rules", should never have been allowed. In fact, since they claim to be so strict, I don't know how the people got in with the "inappropriate" clothing in the first place. Another thing for which I saw signs for everywhere, was that no one was allowed to walk around in bathing suits. There is a water park there, so naturally many people wear their suits, but it's plainly stated all over that they must be covered up. I can't count the number of people I saw "violating" this one. Some were little kids, running around and riding normal (non-water park) rides with their little tiny bathing suits. Some I saw were "tweens", wearing very revealing bikini tops with shorts, and some were people who really shouldn't be walking around in a bathing suit in public, but were doing it nonetheless - in broad daylight, away from the water park. Once I started paying attention to this, it was kinda driving me crazy. Now I've always been quite the "little rebel" as far as "authority" is concerned, and while I never did anything bad, I've always had the attitude that "you can't tell me what to do", and if I was going to do something anyway, and someone told me I had to do it, I wouldn't do it, just for spite. But this whole scenario got me to thinking about rules. Why on earth would you make such a pretense of this, and why would anyone have all these strict, unquestionable rules, when A) no one seemed to be following them, B) no one seemed to care, and C) no one was around to make sure they were followed. It was on such a large scale too, once I paid attention to it. The kicker here is, at the end of the day, when it was dark and a lot of the rides were closing, I sat down on a bench, first noticing that there were other smokers in the vicinity, and was finally going to enjoy a cigarette. I didn't get much farther than two puffs when a "park official" tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Ma'am, this is not a designated smoking area. You need to put that out." I laughed. What else could I do? Go on a long rant of all the "rule breaking" I'd seen all day? Nah, that's not my style. I just looked at him like he was crazy, laughed out loud, and put it out (And of course put the butt in the trash can). But you see my point...
It's like the community I live in, THE POOL has been a matter of contention since I moved in. There is a huge, long list of "pool rules" hanging on the wall. I have witnessed every, single one of them being abused, including the large sign itself being completely vandalized, dirty diapers (!!??) being left on the ground, the trash overflowing, kids who are way too young to be on their own at the pool there without adult supervision, and people who don't even live in this community having others unlock the door for them so they can come on in. It's not pleasant, especially when it's a rather large community and the pool is so tiny - seriously, I've been in hot tubs bigger than this pool! So again I wonder, why all the fuss about making all the rules when there is absolutely no one around to make them stick?! I think it might even be better off without the rules. Seriously! What tween kid isn't a rebel? I'd say the vast majority of them lives by "rules were meant to be broken". I'd also say that without the rules, the kids (and other "rebels") would be less likely to vandalize and break the rules. Ya know? I think since they are posted, and no one is around to make sure they are followed, many people enjoy breaking them, and seeing how much they could get away with.
I dunno. It's just a thought. A long and rambling thought, but a thought nonetheless.
Whew! Okay, so now that I've made peace with the whole "rules" thing, I can get back to being my normal, silly, giggly self!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you tell'em bunny. stupid poopy-headed rule making people.

with Christy

with Christy
"Best Travel Partner EVER"

Nora and Lady Agatha

Nora and Lady Agatha

My 2 Fave "Js"

My 2 Fave "Js"

Mom and 2 of her Wayward children

Mom and 2 of her Wayward children

The Staredown

The Staredown

With Nora

With Nora

4-wheelin' in the DR

4-wheelin' in the DR

About Me

My photo
Here's hoping having a blog will help lead me to the adventures that are out there awaiting me. I want to do something with my writing, my creativity, my skills. I just lost a job that I hated, and am so much better off for it!! It's the new me! Or rather, the OLD me! Yippee! I love the Arts, 1920's and 1930's Cinema, the Theatre, The BOB and SHERI SHOW (!), all animals, my friends, and my family. And music!! Good music, which of course is subjective, but that's another thought for another day. At the moment, I guess this is just about me, and where to go from here, and to see if constantly writing out my wandering thoughts will eventually lead to good! Can't hurt, right? I certainly was not doing myself or the Universe ANY good droning away at that "job"! Anyone willing to come along on this ride? I'll let you off if you change your mind. It is, in effect, the journey through My mind, and I am sure that's a scary place for others to be! It's like one of my favorite quotes - don't know whose, since i really saw it on a tee shirt, but it fits me to a, um, well... a TEE: "I live in my own little world, but that's okay - they know me here!"